Friday 30 March 2018

A Mocking Flock

As I stand upon the country lane
Beyond the hedge is the flock of pain
With a furtive glance back to the farm
My heart is racing, but still I'm calm

With my master nowhere to be seen
I could start work, as I'm very keen
My coat is shiny and my nose is wet
Now into the field I need to get

Across a boggy ditch I need to dredge
To find the gap that's in the hedge
And then I'm through to make my stand
Upon the lambs lush pasture land

Disdainful eyes look upon this collie
Mocking bahs at my brazen folly
Amongst the flock there's an air of scorn
There's no reverence, I feel forlorn

I try to gather, but they disperse
I try a bark, a doggy curse
If they could they'd laugh to mock
One dog; no chance, against the flock

Then upon the lane the sound of a familiar pick-up truck
And if I could curse I'd say what the f..., such bad luck!
As it stops and idles beside the field's gate
My master calls me, but I'm sure he won't berate

Back in the warmth of home I now reflect
That those damn lambs have no respect
But no matter, for it's surely time for lunch
And I'll be back, that's my vengeful hunch

No comments:

Post a Comment