Wednesday 25 July 2018

No Escape


There is no escape...
There is nowhere to run, there is nowhere to hide
There is no comfort in dreams, I've been there, I've tried
It knows where to find me, there's no refuge, no sanctum
As it walks through those locked doors and appears like a phantom

There is no peace in my head...
There is nowhere to run, I cannot take flight
And the worst is to come when I switch off the light
It's a shape-shifting shadow, it's a ghost made of smoke
It's the insanity inside me that chooses to cloak

There is no hope for my soul...
There is nowhere to hide when I look in the mirror
For the effervescence of life is receding and dimmer
So I stand there and stare and sometimes I'm laughing
Because it's impatiently waiting, as I confuse it with chaffing

There is no respite, so I jump from the fire...
As I slumber it's slinking and opening a gate
And hunting my reveries, with a nightmare the bait
But now it's sluggish and floundering in my paralysed head
For on the flip side of sanity I have chosen to tread

There are increasing moments in time away from its clutches
In the numbing embrace of when insanity touches
For there is nowhere to run and there is nowhere to hide
And there is no comfort in dreams, I've been there, I've tried
...there is no escape

No comments:

Post a Comment